The Worth of a Challenge


If you give a child a fish, you feed him for a day.
If you teach a child to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
But if you teach a child to learn, you feed him for a lifetime
and he doesn't have to just eat fish.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

getting started....

This Mommy is going to college! 

So I am super excited to say that I am now going to publish both mine and Jacob's progress through school.
I know there are going to be lots of questions so lets see if I can answer some of them

  • Why am I going to college? Well for those of you who don't know I have been giving some free piano lessons on the side and have since realized I was doing an awesome job at it. I then thought to my self..."do I need a certificate or liscence to teach these kids?" 
  • Why a music/art degree? and What are you going to do with the music degree? I decided on getting a music and art because I can then be accredited to teach children art and music (and list my self in good conscience that I am indeed qualified to teach art and music)
  • So what started all of this? On wednesdays, Jacob's school lets out early and have half a day off. I thought there would be no sense in losing half a day. So I dreamed up some ideas to fill the time. The first one was learning a foreign language(which has been fun but slow going) and the other was to learn piano. I had no real formal training in piano but had some experience in music. So I got the Faber Primer books and talked to the guy at the music store and length and he seemed to think I (and Jacob) will be just fine on our own. Some how I ended up with more kids(whom I teach at no charge) and that is when I wondered if I needed to be "qualified"
So I am super excited. I know there will be ups and downs but I am sure that in the future as I receive my degree I will look back and see how worthwhile this was.

No comments:

Post a Comment