The Worth of a Challenge


If you give a child a fish, you feed him for a day.
If you teach a child to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
But if you teach a child to learn, you feed him for a lifetime
and he doesn't have to just eat fish.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Our Daily Routine

I know lots of people ask the same question....
How do you do it?
Well, in a few words, start with a plan and then change the plan when it doesn't work


Our Schooling Routine
  • 8:00am wake up and eat breakfast. I also let the kids watch one or two cartoons
  • 8:30-9:00am get dressed and I toss in a load of laundry
  • 9:15am we head on up to the classroom and I ding the bell
    • we say the pledge of allegiance
    • sing America
    • do our morning calendar(similar to circle time)
    • Sing our ABC/phonics songs 
    • start our work
      • Tuesdays and Thursdays we do seat work either using lapbooks or workboxes (I will post more on what those are later)
      • Wednesdays and Fridays we do centers in the morning and then workboxes in the afternoon.
  • 10:15am we have a little bit of a snack and then we go back for more schooling 
  • 12:00pm we eat lunch 
  • 12:30pm we break for playtime at the park (we have a great group of homeschooling kids we meet up with
  • 2:00pm Benji takes a rest(quiet play or nap) and Jacob does more advanced work that needs my undivided attention like spelling tests
  • 3:30pm we are done for the day. At that point I let the kids just play until we eat dinner unless we have some where to be like violin or gymnastics.
  • 6:00pm Dinner
  • 7:00pm Bath time
  • 9:00pm Bed time(yes you read that right, it says 9, because then my kidlets sleep in and I like that. We do however get into bed earlier on sunday nights when Jacob at has to be at school at 8am)
So there it is and at the end of each day, I go in after the kids are in bed and grade papers and load up workboxes and I find this takes me about 30minutes to complete. I think it's worth it to go bit by bit rather than let it stack up and spend hours wading through worksheets and projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment