The Worth of a Challenge


If you give a child a fish, you feed him for a day.
If you teach a child to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
But if you teach a child to learn, you feed him for a lifetime
and he doesn't have to just eat fish.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

2011-2012 School Room

I did a little rearranging and also I have made a huge change in the way my kids will do work.

One thing that is different is my new area devoted to the calendar and our math meeting. There is nothing "special" about it so much as, it is there and not on a science back board or in pieces all over the room.

 This is our bulletin board, born out of necessity it is on our folding doors that go to the closet. It really gave me the space I needed without having to move furniture. The theme is oriented around the stories and books we will be reading. We will be displaying work on it as it its completed.
 This corner of the room used to be filled with clutter but I have managed to streamline as much as I could and then also I turned the desk so I would have more floor space and give the kids a better academic view.
 This corner is a little different but really it was done for storage sake.
 Here is our trusty white/magnetic board ready for writing practice, word making and math fact practice.
 the listening center, same as always!
trusty art easel on the other side of the doorway
the sensory bin in it's new home under the window
And our new writing center, where writing, drawing and coloring supplies are available.
So did you notice what isn't there.......workboxes. I decided to do away with workboxes. They were a lot of work that overwhelmed the kids and me and they also occupied space I didn't have in the first place.
I have decided to switch to a folder/binder system instead. It allowed me to save on space and taper how much "stuff" went into our learning. I put a weeks worth of learning into my binder and then stuff four folders for each kid each night before school. Jacob has yellow folders and and Benji has orangie-red ones. When they are done with their folders they place them in their bins with their names so I can check their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment