The Worth of a Challenge


If you give a child a fish, you feed him for a day.
If you teach a child to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
But if you teach a child to learn, you feed him for a lifetime
and he doesn't have to just eat fish.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Centers!

We started off the day today with centers. Its always fun to mix things up and not start the day as a worksheet factory.

1. Reading fun with racing cars:  I went to the activity section of Making Learning Fun and loved the large assortment of stuff available. I would even call it a printables "wonderland". I found this race car activity that was very exciting and engaging to do. I tossed all the cards in a basket and then put out markers and the booklet that comes with it. It took no instruction for my child to figure out what to do. He read the cards and matched the correct car. Afterwords, he then colored the booklet with no problem. This is a great center for independent learning.


2. Counting Fish: I came up with this when Benji started to try to count past ten on his own. I found this is great for fine motor skills and counting and more. I just drew a simple fish bowl with marker on some cardstock and then gave him a sheet of small fish stickers and let him count as he placed them in the bowl.

3. Fish Addition (adding two): This is a super simple center. I just used laminated fish. I wrote the math sentence on one fish and the answer on the other fish and set them in piles. I gave unifix cubes as counters to help make the sentence. Just let the child do the addition and match the fish.

4. Chicka Chicka Sight Words: This activity also came from Making Learning Fun.
  I tossed the word cards into the basket along with some letter tiles.

I then had my child match up the tiles with the word on the cards provided.

Don't have letter tiles? No problem, just let your child use a dry erase marker on laminated cards. Or you can make these letters and just cut them into square tiles rather than circles.

Want to focus on vowels? You can have your child do a vowel sort before making their words
I found this card at Confessions of a Homeschooler.
Looking for more? just check out the links from todays posts, they are loaded with tons of fun and easy educational ideas.

4 comments:

  1. Love the fish bowl! Great idea!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah!
    Your blog is amazing! I am definitely using some of these great ideas in the Cannon home- I'm totally impressed. Sorry I haven't called to set up a play date- I'm not sure where this week went! We're headed to Mexico this weekend for a week, but when I get back we need to get meet up. (And I love your header picture- your boys are adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the site word idea! My son is in this stage and I will have to try this with him! Such a great idea! I am your newest follower. Hope you will follow back at www.busymomonthego.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the ideas in your site. I love to use some of these great ideas for my nephew. I always follow and share my search experiences with other bloggers. Currently I am using math activity sheets of thanksgiving for my nephew therefore I thought could share it with you. Hope you will like these math activity sheets.https://logicroots.com/math-worksheets/thanksgiving-theme/ as my nephew does.

    ReplyDelete