The Worth of a Challenge


If you give a child a fish, you feed him for a day.
If you teach a child to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
But if you teach a child to learn, you feed him for a lifetime
and he doesn't have to just eat fish.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Let's make some music!



   Those who know me know how much I love to listen to music. It leaves an impression inside of a person. It can impact how a person feels, help generate ideas and much more. One of the Chinese symbols for the word "joy" also means "music". I find it amazing how music can indeed bring joy. In our home it often allows us to express how we feel without having to search for the right words.

      I like to implement music where ever and when ever I can, knowing how important music is. I often play music during free choice, seat work, book nook time and any other time I can. I also like to set time apart just for music. I have the children practice violin, but we also do spend time learning about music. Many people think you have to be an expert at piano or have a music background to have music part of their homeschool but that is just not true. Most people are good listeners and can help their children become good listeners too.

Things I include in a music lesson:

  • how to listen-Is the music fast or slow? Is it high or low? Is it quiet or soft? I often use a picture of a lion and a picture of a mouse mounted to a craft stick and have the kids hold up the right stick.
  • when and how to participate- using egg shakers or rhythm sticks to the beat of the music
  • moving to the music-moving fast or slow, etc. This would be a great time to use scarfs or ribbons or any other item to help exaggerate the movement. My boys especially love bouncing hula hoops.
  • recognizing notes on the treble clef and and what rhythm they represent.

 While you can pop in your favorite tunes and learn these concepts, we have been very blessed to be able to use Kindermusic books and Cd's for our little classroom. It is a great curriculum that I took Jacob to and am now using our materials at home for both children.
    
   Items that we use for music are

  • egg shakers 
  • animal shakers
  • bells
  • kazoos
  • harmonicas
  • beanbags
  • any kind of drum like instruments
  • sand blocks
 Not pictured is a game I made for the kids for music. I made it from white felt and put strips of black felt on it to make a treble clef. I then made little black circular bean bags to toss onto the treble clef. It is a great game for learning the notes. I also have different types of rhythm notes to put on it and have the kids make the rhythms using small instruments. It is a great game and was very inexpensive to make and has certainly enriched our learning experience. Most everything I found for low cost or made for low cost. It is worth every penny and I am never surprised when my kids are most excited for this portion of our learning day.

Resources:  



So break out those shakers and that Beach Boy music and groove with your kids and teach them music and that music is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment