The Worth of a Challenge


If you give a child a fish, you feed him for a day.
If you teach a child to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
But if you teach a child to learn, you feed him for a lifetime
and he doesn't have to just eat fish.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What's new this year for science?

The Jason Project       
In my pursuit to make certain our time spent with science was hands on, fun and mentored by pros in the field, I searched the web and found the Jason Project. 

  • What is the Jason Project?- It is a multi platform learning station for kids and teachers via online that connects with the real scientists out in the field and other kids. 
  • Does it meet national and state standards of learning?- Yes! You can even tailor your missions to meet the needs of your child by grade level and state. 
  • Does it cost anything to get started?- So far my only costs have been time and a ream of paper. You can download the curriculum for free and print it. If you want more materials beyond that, they do have some for purchase. 
  • What topics do they cover?- Their missions include:
  1. Forces and Motion
  2. Geology
  3. Energy
  4. Ecology 
  5. Weather
  • Why is this worth while to the home educator?- Because I think this offers a new opportunity to connect kids to REAL science. They won't just read about it, they will get to be a part of it. I also think there is value in asking our youngest of minds for possible solutions. You don't have to be old to be smart. Also as a parent educator, I can ask the experts as well as other teachers questions I may have. They also have professional development available as well.  
  • What grades levels is Jason designed for?- as of now, it is set up for grades four through ten, but I adapt for my young children by way of dictation. I read to them any questions or materials that may be to difficult to read and I allow them to give information out loud and then type it in for them. I also allow my kids to write and draw answers on their own level on paper as well. I am choosing to jump in despite the age/grade difference because I believe there is still merit in learning this way. I am always impressed at how much my children learn and know despite their difference in reading/writing levels.
So what mission are we starting with?

Operation Monster Storms! We are going to learn about weather, weather prediction and how to improve forecasting. We will also learn about emergency preparedness. 


You can find and start your mission at www.jason.org

No comments:

Post a Comment